Monday, January 23, 2012

Howard Wendell Witham - Obituary

Howard Wendell Witham
1914-2012

I'm sad to report that we received word from our cousin, Jack Witham Payne, that his oldest relative, Howard Wendell Witham has passed away.

Wendell is the son of Thomas Joshua Witham. Thomas Joshua is a brother to Francis Calvin Witham .

Wendell died Jan 17, 2012. His body is at the Bernard Funeral Home in Russell Springs, KY. Visitation is Thursday Jan 19,2012 5-6 PM and the funeral is Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 1 PM. The funeral home does not have Internet access but his obituary will be in the Columbia (KY) Magazine.

Jack adds, "I had the pleasure of visiting him at the ancestral Witham Home in Jamestown, KY as well as at the annual Witham reunion in Wolf Creek, KY. He was a class act, a total gentleman with a keen mind and wit and regaled me of many stories about my ancestry. He remembered my Grandfather, George Sherman Witham as a child. He still put out a garden, drove a car and lived alone until his mid 90ies. I regret that I did not know him longer."

Below are some photos of Wendell along with the Witham ancestral home that he lived in.

Becky got to visit the Witham home in July of 2011. Here is what she had to say about it:

"The Witham Family Home! We can only guess the Withams that have lived in this house and visited there! My Great Uncle Wendell Witham lives there now and he is 97 years old. It is a beautiful place surrounded by the green and rolling hills of Kentucky! It is on Witham Road! You gotta love my Ol' Kentucky Home!! :)"

Thank you to Jack for passing on the infomation and thank you to Becky and Jack for the photos.




2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to know Wendell or to talk to him. I would've loved to have him tell me some of his stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendell is a nephew to Francis Calvin Witham. Wendell's dad is Francis Calvin's brother, Thomas Joshua Witham.

    I have added that information to the post above. Thank you, Sandy, for the idea!

    ReplyDelete