Sunday, October 10, 2010

Family Bible


I was first made aware of the fact that there's a Witham Family Bible in a letter that was shared with me by Sandy Sparks McCurley (Aunt Jennie Witham's granddaughter). The letter was written to Sandy by Mary Jane Gillis (Aunt Exonia Witham's daughter). Since I've been trying to put together our Witham family history, you can imagine how excited I was to learn about this.

According to the letter, the family Bible was given to Uncle Albert Warren Witham's son Raymond Lee. I didn't know how to contact Raymond Lee, but was sure I could figure it out. If I couldn't figure it out on my own, I was positive one of my grandpa's siblings, Uncle Ray, Aunt Marjorie, or Aunt Betty could help me out.

I found Raymond Lee's contact information on my own through a quick Google search. I called him and after a round or two of phone tag, he called me back. I introduced myself and told him why I was calling. I told him I have been working on our family history and I found information in a letter that said he might have the family Bible. He told me he had it. I told him I was very curious about the Bible and asked him if he would tell me about it.

He told me the Bible does contain some family history information, but not much. It was more of an everyday-read kind of Bible that was originally owned by Grandma Josie Witham. He told me she used to sit in her green chair and rock back and forth and read this Bible EVERY day. He told me it has her favorite passages marked. You can tell it saw a lot of use.

Raymond Lee said Aunt Marjorie had the Bible rebound before it was given to him. He told me he got the Bible because he was the oldest Witham grandchild. Not the oldest grandchild - but the oldest WITHAM grandchild.

He told me he would go through the Bible and pass on all the family history information to me to make sure I had it to share with the rest of the family. As soon as he gets the chance to do that, I'll be sure to get it added to our family tree so everyone can have a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment