Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Grandma Used to be a "Mann"

I never got to meet my great grandma, Josie Mann Witham, but in talking with family members, I've been able to pick up a few stories about her.

Apparently, she had a great sense of humor. That was one of the first things that her grandson, Raymond Lee Witham, told me about her. It was also one of the first things her granddaughter, Charlene Smith, told me about her, too.

Charlene told me when the grandkids were still young, Grandma Witham would tell them that before she was married, she used to be a "Mann". She said Grandma Witham just loved to see the kids' surprised, and probably shocked, expressions when she told them this.

I enjoyed this tidbit Charlene shared with me. Not only was it a charming and revealing story about great grandma Josie, but it sounds like exactly the kind of thing my grandpa, Thomas Washington Witham, would do. This was his style of humor, for sure! Maybe he got his sense of humor from his mother.

I would love to learn more about Grandma Josie, so now is your chance to share. Post a comment about something you remember about Grandma Josie for the rest of us to reflect on and enjoy.

If you have pictures of Grandma Josie that you would like to share with everyone, you can email me and I'll be happy to post them for you: Mike@WithamFamilyHistory.com

No comments:

Post a Comment